Sunday, June 11, 2006

Da Vinci

So, I watched the much famed "The Da Vinci Code" yesterday after all. A free ticket made me more than enthusiastic to go watch it. I had intially planned to watch it first day first show. However, fortunately or unfortunately, I was enjoying myself wild in San Francisco the day of its release, so plans of fdfs down the drain. Anyways, a hot Friday evening yesterday was well-spent indeed.

I must mention at this point that this is the FIRST movie ever EVER that I have watched alone. I have never watched a movie alone.. Normally, I would prefer to sit at home and crib about the world being unfair than going to watch a movie alone. But I really didnt want to miss watching Da Vinci in a theater (its already more than 3 weeks from its release I think), and I really didnt want to waste a free ticket on a Friday evening.

I am one of those who have already read the book before watching the movie.. and after watching the movie, I am now one of those who think that the book was better than the movie. No, dont get me wrong, the movie is very entertaining indeed. But I'm not sure how entertaining it would be if you went and watched it without having an idea about what the
fuss is about.

One thing that I liked tremendously about the movie is that the settings, the mood, the buildings, are exactly as that what you'd imagine while reading the book. E.g. the descriptions of Sauniere running in the gallery, Silas in the church with the Rose Line, Teabing's estate, the bank, the vault mechanisam, etc. felt like I'd seen them before, only that I had imagined something very similar during my journey through the book.

Some of the surprising moments, e.g. who the "Teacher" is, the characters of the butler and Silas, seem to be played down in the movie. But Tom Hanks and Audrey Tatou have played their parts very effectively indeed. As are the characters of Bezu Fache (I like saying that :) ), Teabing, and others that come and go.

I really cant think of anything else to write. Perhaps because its almost 3 in the morning, and I need some sleep. Good night!

2 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Blogger Bijay said...

I felt that if one has not read the book, he cannot understand the movie... I guess most feel the same...

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Rohit said...

a friend of mine didn't read the book and saw the movie he found it "very preachy",i guess it is difficult to include all the details of the book in to 2 hours and 30 mins movie. but surly the movie was very entertaining.
One just needs to go with an open mind to avoid all the controvery surrounding the mive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home