Wednesday, September 20, 2006

This week

Ohh what a week! And 2 more days in it to go!

Monday started off as normal - a power struggle with the alarm clock, trouble getting up, quick shave and shower, breakfast in the office, and then the daily rituals of checking emails, replying to the more favorable ones, checking schedule for the day, etc. etc. Most of Monday went by as does every Monday, uneventful, and loaded with code.

Tuesday morning started off just exactly like Monday. But then, it was a roller coaster ride! My boss, the VP of the company and a couple of directors came over from Austin for the career fair in the university on Tuesday. We spent half the morning deciding plans of action, or plan of actions, whichever is appropriate. At about 11, we set off for the fair, set up the booth, laid out leaflets, pamphlets, and other paraphernalia. The university gave us coupons for lunch - which we ran to redeem coz lunch time was almost over. After a good chk bbq sw from the local eatery, we were all set for the onslaught of students. Ohh it was fun! Till now, I had been the one running around in the career fair talking to potential employers.. And lo, here, I was standing at a booth, talking to potential employees! I enjoyed my time there! Signed up a couple of people for interviews. It was a really different and enjoyable experience, and I'm glad I got to do it.

After about 3.5 hours, my shift was over, and I headed back to the office to resume my coding. A couple of hours later, we had a presentation and pizza party in my department building. So, off we went! That was an event in itself! We ordered 14 pizzas, 10 servings of salad and pasta! I got to talk to students in the presentation, and talk about my experience of working for my company so far, followed by answering sincere questions of eager students.. That went on till about 8 in the evening. Finally, after all of this we all headed home, each with a box of their favorite pizza left over from the party, the day was finally over!

Wednesday - today - started as usual, no changes there. The usual staring-at-code went on till about 11:45, after which I headed to the career center - which I usually head to only at the time of an interview. This time too, I was headed there for an interview, but I was calm, and not dressed in a suit - predominantly because I wasnt the one who was being interviewed; I was one of those who sit at an interview table, and TAKE an interview! Yep, I did 3 interviews today! It was soo different! I really enjoyed the experience. I'm starting to understand how it is so very important to be cool at an interview - and most of all - stand by what you think - its not as important to have all the answers as is having a cool and confident disposition while answering what you think, or what you dont think. Then it was back to the office for some more code, followed by a sumptous dinner. Over dinner, our boss told us that a professor from the CSE department wants to meet and talk about research opportunities with the company.. So, tomorrow, there are 4 interviews at the career center, followed by an additional interview with a highly potential candidate, followed by a meeting with the professor over lunch to discuss what he has on his mind. And ofcourse, coding will be omnipresent through all of this.

Ahh what a week!

1 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmkayyyyy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home